Garden, Plant, Cook!

Saturday, January 06, 2018

Update on My Canned Jam Bread/Fruit Cake

Dear Folks,

Well I forgot!

A reader just reminded me I was going to post on whether canning my Jam Bread aka Fruit Cake would work for preserving.  Thank you Terry for the reminder.

It worked great!!

I posted on November 17th about baking my recipe in 8 oz mason canning jars and immediately capping when I pulled them from the oven.

The idea is to cause the heat to vacuum seal the jars and it worked perfectly.  Considering that the jars are coming out of the oven at a toasty 350 degrees, it should always work.  However there is always the possibility of a poor seal.  Also because of the way some of them wound up with less in the jars than others, I wondered about the "air space".  It did not make a difference.

The cakes are still enjoyable having sat in my pantry all this time (did not open one until Christmas Day), and because we wound up with a lot of candy and cookies for the holidays it will be a while before I get to the rest of the canned cakes.  Perfect!!!

So there you have it, a way preserve your favorite cakes without refrigeration and without losing flavor or texture.

Thank you again, Terry for the reminder :-)

Have a best day!


-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe below by entering your email, to get all my posts!

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Disclaimer: Clicking on links on this blog may earn me a small commission if you purchase something. Your price does not change.

No comments: