Garden, Plant, Cook!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Sun Drying Roselle - Perfect Day For It!

Dear Folks,

It is supposed to be high 90s today, so it is the PERFECT time to sun dry edibles.

I've been trying to get to this for several days now and finally kicked myself into gear.  I spent over an hour harvesting them and separating the petals from the immature seed pod.

A bit of work but worth it to have the dried petals ready for use anytime I want to make something with them.  The fresh calyx need to be used within a few days of harvest, so drying the extra abundance and using our hot sun is a win/win.

I picked up these used trays a few years ago, without the electric base, because I was looking for a way to expand how much drying room I had.  I filled 4 trays and probably will get near a quart of dried petals when it is finished and they may even be finished today.

If not I bring the trays in overnight so they do not reabsorb moisture and then put them back out tomorrow when the sun is on the table.

I just love these jewel-like edibles!

If you have not grown Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa), you should consider sowing the seeds next April.  The leaves and the flower calyx are totally edible with a wonderful lemony / cranberry flavor - and oh, by the way - full of Vitamin C.

I am out of town for about a week and will resume posting when I get back.

I hope you have a wonderful time in your garden and kitchen with your garden bounty.



-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe in the upper side bar link, to get all my posts!

Disclaimer: Clicking on links on this blog may earn me a small commission if you purchase something. Your price does not change

No comments: