Garden, Plant, Cook!

Monday, February 26, 2018

Seed Share Reminder, More Frost Damage and Garden "Neighbors"

Dear Folks,

I keep thinking with the cold weather all the "friskiness" of the birds is TOO early, but this sweet little Inca Dove found not only a pretty safe spot but she/they built a pretty good nest compared to the 3  crossed sticks we usually see.

A large quail covey showed up for the free seed share we abundantly put out for all the birds.  We just enjoy the feathered neighbors.  I think this group - there were more than a dozen taking some turns - are the youngsters who grew up last spring and summer and were less bothered by our movements in and around the garden - and you get food "they say"!

While taking the dove picture I notice a fence lizard basking in the warm sun (sun warm / air cold).

I don't know why but these little guys always crack me up.  They are either basking, running lickety split away when they spot us, or stopping and doing their pushups.  We also have larger lizards in the garden but it is hard to get a picture of them because as soon as they see us they make a race car driver seem slow.

The potato bed was partially hit by the frost the other morning.  Some "drooped", some just fine.  That is the way of soft frost, it can do a lot of damage in one spot and nothing a foot or 2 away.  "Soft frost" means not killing and falling vertically which means any over head cover protects the plants.  I am not covering this year as we started out so warm, and I have so many areas that are sensitive to frost it would take too much time.

When I put out our seedlings in about a week or so I will be covering them with the poor man's cloches.

Looking ahead at the long range (2 weeks) forecast I don't think most of the valley will see near freezing temperatures. However, keep the frost protection handy just in case until at least mid-March.

FREE SEED SHARE REMINDER!

This Saturday, March 3, 2018 - 11 a.m. to Noon and I will be there with my seed bank and answering your questions.  There will also be a raffle for a couple of fun things.

Mesa Urban Garden
212 E. 1st Avenue
Mesa, Arizona 85201

I am taking a break next week off line visiting family.  You can always message me through facebook.

I will get back to you when I return the following week.

-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

If you enjoyed this post, please share and subscribe below by entering your email, to get all my posts!

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Disclaimer: Clicking on links on this blog may earn me a small commission if you purchase something. Your price does not change.

No comments: