Garden, Plant, Cook!

Saturday, January 13, 2018

From Beans to Meat - Cured Salami


Dear Folks,

I have been posting on my new love - bean "burgers" - something I have wanted to try making tasty-to-me recipes, and ones my bean-loving guy will love also.

I think I nailed those:  A Bean Sausage Pattie and a Black Bean Burger.

Yesterday I pulled my dry curing Salami out of the refrigerator and thoroughly enjoyed a few slices with some strawberries.  I had put it in December 14th.

I have posted about making this before, inspired by Jacques Pepin's Saucisson of Pork Tenderloin.

This is a pork tenderloin, marinated overnight in salt and sugar, then wiped clean and patted with spices and a bit of Brandy (he used Cognac).

4 or so weeks of curing in the refrigerator produces an air dried salami that is outstanding.  It is salty so a few thin slices goes a long way as a treat with fruit, maybe some cheese, and glass of juice or wine.   How long to cure depends on how thick your choice of tenderloin is.  Mine were slender pieces and I could have taken them out a bit sooner than 4 weeks.

My Dry Cured Salami

One 1-pound pork tenderloin
1 cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon brandy
1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon herbes de provence
Can be double for two 1 pound tenderloins

Remove any silver skin from the tenderloin. If there are tips (points) on either end of the meat, trim so the width is similar all along. (Use the trimmed pieces for something else.)

Mix salt and sugar together place in ziplock bag, add meat, seal bag and shake to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
Have ready a pan with rack ready.
Remove meat from bag and wipe dry with paper towels. Rub meat with mix of brandy, pepper and HDP.
Place the tenderloins in your refrigerator on a rack where the air can circulate around them.
The tenderloins will dry out in five to six weeks.


Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.  They will keep many weeks or even a couple of months - if they last that long.

Don't forget the Back 2 Basics Living Bundle starting January 17th.

This collection of simple living ebooks is a discounted library of useful information.
You can sign up here to get notified when the bundle becomes available, or watch for my post with all the information on the day before (January 16th).


And also watch for my posting later in the week with February's Planting, Sowing and Maintenance tips.

Have a best day!

-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe below by entering your email, to get all my posts!

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Disclaimer: Clicking on links on this blog may earn me a small commission if you purchase something. Your price does not change.

No comments: