Garden, Plant, Cook!

Sunday, January 31, 2021

What do you do with a 'mess' (bunch) of fresh herbs and greens?

Dear Folks,

For all of my frustration with the under-performing gardens because of the up/down weather, I have been blessed with a lot of herbs and greens!  So what to do. Pictured, I gathered, rinse and chopped a big pile of kale, lettuces, celery, parsley, and chervil.  I froze half of this for later use and used half to make one of my 'Herb Soups'.


This is a picture of one I made last year.  Topped with Parmesan cheese crisps. 

My original recipe for Herb Soup in 2013 is here.  I have made many versions over the years because it is just so good.  You can imbellish/garnish with whatver you like.

I encourage you to use boiling water for your first try rather than a broth as the herbs etc. give it an amazing flavor.

Well, what else can one do with a whole 'mess' of greens and herbs?

In the past I have made pesto, green goddess dressing (unlike many recipes, I start with a base of a vinaigrette of oil and lemon, lime juice or vinegar) add any greens and herbs I have and whirl in the blender.  A wonderful dressing for salad or pasta.

I decided to do a little research and found a wonderful article on Epicurious website for 10 Green Sauces.

I am sure many of you have heard of some of them in addition to pesto, there is chimichurii, and Salsa Verde.  BTW if you make Salsa Verde I have used my fresh Epazote as part of the mix. Some of the recipes for Salsa Verde from Mexico stuff a fish with a mix of herbs, including Epazote.  Not quite a green "sauce" but same flavor enhancer. 

I hope you use your greens and herbs for some of these amazing sauces.

Have a best day,

Stay safe, be patient and be kind to yourself and one another,

My Original Herb Soup Recipe is from my book "101+ Recipes From The Herb Lady" where I highlight one or more herbs to create recipes focusing on them.

-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

If you enjoyed this post, please share and subscribe below by entering your email, to get all my posts!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Disclaimer: Clicking on links on this blog may earn me a small commission if you purchase something. Your price does not change.

No comments: