Garden, Plant, Cook!

Friday, May 24, 2019

It's National Asparagus Day!

Dear Folks,

We have had a bed of Asparagus for many years and of course that means lots of harvesting for a couple of months - basically about 6 weeks from approximately late January until sometime in April - well I do cheat a little and harvest even now a few spears to have some fresh.  But all that wonderful bounty means I craft recipes to give us "Asparagus Variety" although we do have some favorites.

Like Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Bundles on the grill - with basil leaves tucked in if I have some fresh in the garden.  The one pictured from some years ago was a quick side - now-a-days I wrapped the whole length of the bundle.  Either way they are awesome!

I frequently make a Savory Oatmeal as a Side and a couple of years ago I did one with asparagus, topped with cheese, and it was great.  The recipe is here.

In the last year - since 2018's harvest I have been making variations of my "Creamy" Soup with Asparagus and we just love it.  Two pictures of the way they turned out - one with Dill and one with Edible Flowers as garnish.

How about a Pasta Primavera with roasted asparagus, red sweet peppers, carrots and shucked sugar peas!  I use Orzo pasta frequently for my pasta dishes.  All mixed with some shredded Parmesan Cheese.

For the soup and other ways with Asparagus, including a lovely fresh salad with roasted asparagus and other veggies from the garden click here for my post.

Last Month I used some Gailan (Chinese Broccoli) from the garden and roasted along with some the asparagus, tossed pasta with some fresh celery leaf from the garden and served with poached chicken seasoned with some of my dried Rosemary.  Lovely dinner.

I hope these give you some ideas for how to use this wonderful garden gem.

This weekend while enjoying family and out door time, remember the fallen Memorial Day.

Memorial Day is an American holiday, observed on the last Monday of May, honoring the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. ... Originally known as Decoration Day, it originated in the years following the Civil War and became an official federal holiday in 1971.

Take care and be kind.

-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

If you enjoyed this post, please share and subscribe below by entering your email, to get all my posts!

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Disclaimer: Clicking on links on this blog may earn me a small commission if you purchase something. Your price does not change.

No comments: