Garden, Plant, Cook!

Sunday, September 02, 2018

Easing Back . . .

Dear Folks,

First, I'm not going away.

Just, easing back on group activity and maybe fewer blog posts.

I will always answer you emails, questions and facebook messages as soon as I can.

I may be with family or doing some more traveling, so I could be off for a week or so, or just tending (that is to say better tending) to the gardens.

Some History:

I have been doing my trowel and error gardening, here in the desert for over 3 decades.  About 20 years ago, I began bringing my extra herbs and other garden produce to the farmers market. I was dubbed "The Herb Lady" by vendors and customers and was pleased to be able to answer questions.

I am not an extrovert and found "responding" to questions quite easy as it was about a subject I am passionate about.


Sometime later I discovered the Valley Permaculture Alliance online forum and joined to see what everyone was talking about and where I might pick up additional information and where I could ask questions myself.  I dipped my 'fingers' into the forum and discovered a community of gardening knowledge seekers and those with light to great expertise.

Somewhere in that time I was asked to do lectures and that opportunity to teach more folks, who may not (many were not) online, turned into many lectures both public and private.

Back to VPA, I also noticed many 'newbie' questions going unanswered and my concern that they might feel ignored, gave me a little push to tentatively answer questions which were not.

As I answered more questions I began finding another niche outside the farmers market where I could encourage folks to try . . . growing anything they had an interest in, using what experience I had to answer their questions, point them to inside links or outsides links to further give them more help.

In April 2005 I began this blog,  It was just 3 posts and then I kind of sat back, still at the farmers market and still on the VP forum and I had my first book published

In 2008 I began more regular blog posts because I found I could more easily add pictures, explanations and report on what was - and was not - working in my gardens.  I also wanted to share recipes.

If you ever tried to find information on gardening in the desert through book stores or on line you would have found a slim list.  Most gardening books are written for 4 season climates, but we can garden year round here, so answering all those "how do you garden in the desert" questions was a niche I felt I could help fill.

Seven Years ago I joined facebook due to a family tragedy and the need for that portion of the family to adequately keep everyone up to date.  I had not had any interested in FB before that.

As I got comfortable looking around I discovered I could create a Page and then I found local gardening groups and began joining.  Oh my, what a great community of like-minded garden lovers.

I began answering questions and I ALWAYS learned something new myself.  Great opportunities and experiences.

Over the years people have asked me to mentor, or take on an apprentice to pass on my knowledge.  I felt I mentored by teaching and answering questions.

I began answering questions, as I mentioned I am not an extrovert, because I was not seeing them answered.

What I have now found - happily - is there is a great community of folks out there who have the expertise and willingness to answer those questions which used to go unanswered.

I'm not going away, I am just easing back.  I will drop in every once in a while to visit the groups and see what everyone is discussing - as I noted I always learn something new when I visit the groups.

I will continue my monthly Planting Tips blog post which also is added to facebook.

I will blog and/or post when there is something useful or informative to share.

AND I will always get back to your questions whether you email me, comment on a blog post, or message me on facebook, it just might take a few days or a week.

Meanwhile I will be tending my garden, visiting with family and continuing to explore any new-to-me-herbs or other edibles I just have to try growing in my garden.

I hope and wish for you too, to expand your garden journey.
 

-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

If you enjoyed this post, please share and subscribe below by entering your email, to get all my posts! 

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Disclaimer: Clicking on links on this blog may earn me a small commission if you purchase something. Your price does not change.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You've been at this a long time and your depth of knowledge is vast. I've attended several of your lectures and appreciate your patience in answering everyone's questions. And those answers! Clear, concise and delivered with quiet authority. I never doubt that what you say is true.
I also appreciate and connect with your curiosity when it comes to growing new and uncommon varieties.
Glad you're just cutting back and not signing off. Know that your efforts are appreciated.

Rachel Cywinski said...

Thank you, Catherine, for filling that niche; and answering those questions. What you say is such a true gardemer's statement; not being an extrovert but having information to share, and sharing it because that is what we do. No one has ever claimed to be a self-made gardener!
Enjoy the bountiful harvest of your efforts now.
With much gratitude

Catherine, The Herb Lady said...

Thank you both for your kind comments and it fills me gratitude that I helped and encouraged you! Have a best day -- Catherine