Garden, Plant, Cook!

Monday, August 07, 2017

Zucchini Fun Day and My Next Free Lecture Coming Up!

Dear Folks,

I'm back from one trip and will be going on another in 2 weeks, but I wanted to catch up with you on a fun day tomorrow (fun as in sharing your garden bounty) and let you know to mark you calendars for my next free lecture open to the public.

I heard about zucchini sharing from a market customer many years ago.  Seems the little town in Oklahoma where she grew up stopping leaving the cars unlocked in the summer as they would find the back seat filled with zucchini if they left the car unlocked during harvest time.

August 8th, National Sneak Some Zucchini onto Your Neighbor’s Porch Day!

http://www.gocomics.com/pickles/2016/04/20

Brian Crane's (Cartoonist) site for another funny take on this "event" 

There are so many ways to use zucchini besides the current (really tasty fad of) spiralizing this summer squash.

Baked in bread or cakes, breaded, pan fried or sauteed, shredded for cole slaw, grilled, stuffed (like potato skins), in a lasagna in place of or in addition to the noddles, and on and on.  I sometimes make a ribbon salad of ribbons of zucchini and cantaloupe with a nice vinaigrette

Here is one of my recipes for a satisfying cold salad.

Zucchini/EdamameSalad
Gardeners and cooks like to joke about what to do withall that zucchini. Slaws are the answer!

2   cups shredded zucchini
2   cups cooked green soybeans (edamame)
Rice wine vinegar
1/4  cup finely shredded spearmint
Salt
Olive Oil

Toss zucchini with a couple of good splashes of the vinegar. Add soybeans, sprinkle with Spearmint, and mix with zucchini. Add enough olive oil to lightly coat salad, salt to taste and mix gently.  A little thyme would also be a nice addition.


Mesa Urban Community Garden
October 7th, 5 p.m.

Garden Multi-Tasking:  Edible Flowers and Seed Saving are the main topics but I will be happy to answer questions.  I will also be bringing my seed library for sharing free seed.  Click to get the details

This lecture is open to the public and is FREE (I do encourage a donation if you can to help the garden out).

Did you know you can message me with your questions either through the blog here or on my facebook page?

Always happy to answer questions.

My garden calendars and books are for sale through links on the sidebar here on the blog.

Watch for my September Planting tips post next week.


Have a great day!!

 

-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe below by entering your email, to get all my posts! 

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Disclaimer: Clicking on links on this blog may earn me a small commission if you purchase something. Your price does not change.

No comments: