Garden, Plant, Cook!

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Microwave Quiche for Two

Dear Folks,

You know all those 5 minute-mug- microwave-cakes are all the 'thing' now.  I started making versions a couple of years ago, including chocolate cake and cornbread.

Ready to Microwave with Cheezits top/bottom
It is just usually the two of us and we are small meal eaters (but snackers) so unless I want to make extra to share with neighbors or have a shindig, I try to keep my meal preparations to 2 servings.

Plated after microwaving.
Quiche is a great way use garden produce, so for this recipe I used sweet potato, Egyptian spinach and basil leaves, plus a small yellow sweet bell pepper.  Quiche is a perfect way to use fresh herbs.

Most of the typical recipes call for a mug, but I like to use a bowl, preferably straight sided, to make a serving for two, which I just split in two.

My Microwave Quiche
For this recipe I used "cheezits" for the base.

2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
2/3 cup shredded cheese
1 cup loose packed shredded greens of choice or cooked, drained and chopped spinach
A grind or two of black pepper, just light sprinkle of salt (most cheeses have a lot of salt)
"Base" of crackers or a piece of toast cut to fit the bowl
Optional:  Two pieces of crisp bacon, chopped up
Optional:  small sliced pepper or other vegetable (in season gently cooked asparagus would be great) - approximately 1/4 cup

Directions:
--Grease a 2 cup microwave safe bowl.
--Beat eggs until frothy, add milk and stir well.  Add cheese and greens, stirring well, then add bacon (if using), pepper and S&P.  Stir.
--Pour into bowl and top with "base".
--Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Your microwave may be slightly different in power.  A toothpick inserted should come out clean.
--Cover with a plate and upend - the quiche should slide out easily if you greased the bowl well.
--Serve and enjoy with fruit as a side.


If you like my recipes - I have two cookbooks

Have a great time in your kitchen with your garden bounty!



-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe in the upper side bar link, to get all my posts!

Disclaimer: Clicking on links on this blog may earn me a small commission if you purchase something. Your price does not change.

No comments: