Garden, Plant, Cook!

Monday, November 23, 2015

Thanksgiving Side Dish - Or Any Holiday - Braised Celery with Cranberries

Dear Folks,

This is from my cookbook "101+ Recipes From The Herb Lady"

While researching and experimenting with herbs, spices and loads of delicious ingredients for my cookbook, one vegetable, celery, stood out for its "lack" of use as a vegetable.  It had become demoted to a condiment - a use which while great does not keep it at a more flexible use, in my opinion.

In time for the holidays at the time of my writing to book, I made this dish and I loved it.

LOW SALT/FAT COOKING

Braised Celery with Cranberries

        Celery has been forgotten as a vegetable by itself, replaced almost entirely for its "aromatic" qualities in mixtures. The sweeter "hearts" and tender center leaves give this vegetable another aspect. Save the tougher outer stalks and leaves for your soups and "aromatic" work.
        Celery, both vegetable and seed, has long been used as a "substitute" for salt, most likely in part because it has naturally occurring sodium. Celery is also a diuretic and a possible hepatic (liver and digestive aid).

2    cups cut-up celery (more attractive if sliced on angle)
2    tablespoons tender celery leaves for garnish
1    teaspoon olive oil
2-3    tablespoons water
1/2    cup whole fresh cranberries
1/4    cup dried cranberries  
1    teaspoon Bell’s Seasoning Or my PoultryPlusPB**
        Heat oil and add seasoning, mix well, add celery, whole cranberries and 2 tablespoons of water, stir and simmer covered for 25-30 minutes until tender. Whole cranberries will pop in first 5 minutes. Stir often. Add additional water if needed. Stir in dried cranberries last 10 minutes of cooking. Garnish with celery leaves.

**(Right now my blend is not available but I'm considering bringing it back.)

DID YOU KNOW I created my cookbook to feature different herbs and spices, some familiar and some 'exotic' for each of their great flavors, uses and health benefits.

Each herb or spice is discussed with some history and then the recipes using it.


Purchase:

Amazon

Barnes & Noble 

My Publisher - Print Edition

My Publisher - ePub or PDF



Have a Wonderful, Save and Happy Thanksgiving

-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe in the upper side bar link, to get all my posts!

Disclaimer: Clicking on links on this blog may earn me a small commission if you purchase something. Your price does not change.

No comments: