Garden, Plant, Cook!

Monday, October 17, 2011

Quick Pickle - More.

Dear Folks,

I posted a recipe for making quick pickles (refrigerator - not shelf-stable) last week.  Over the weekend, I pickled some nice green beans and some leek I had left-over.

I picked up the beans Friday from One Windmill Farm at the Mesa Farmers Market.  (This market has been going on for about 15 years, year-round every Friday.  Great vendors!!!

Last week's post on quick pickles

After I prepared the green beans, I had some left over brine so I tossed in some radishes I had picked that morning, and some sliced up celery.  Let them cool and had them later for a little snack.

That is the beauty of this kind of pickling/brining.  You can enjoy them that day or over the next couple of weeks.  Consider whatever veggie you might have on hand.  You can pickle fruits too and add some sugar to the boiling liquid along with spices.

Have fun experimenting with your garden harvest.  And don't forget to check out your local farmers market for fall goodies.  All the root crops are starting to come in and all can make a nice batch of quick pickles.

And you do not have to make gallons or quarts at a time!

-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

No comments: