Garden, Plant, Cook!

Friday, June 10, 2011

Horseradish! And, A New Survey

Dear Folks,

First - a new survey, folks. Help me help you by letting me know what you want more of.   See the upper sidebar here on the blog.

. . .

The horseradish is looking good.  While having breakfast in the garden the other day, Deane spotted a great photo op.

Framed by a peach tree on the left and a grapefruit tree on the right, the plant in the background is Lemon Verbena, one of the most fragrant of the herbs.

We grow horseradish here the opposite of the four-season areas.  Planted in the fall and harvested in early summer.  The older the plant the bigger the root.  I have not gotten the massive 3 inch size roots yet (the main plants are about 3 years old), but I get enough to make my condiment up.  I save some of the roots when harvesting and replant in the fall (I store them in the crisper). The ones I leave in the ground die back in the summer only to regenerate in the fall/winter.

One of those wonderful spices that add so much to taste, it adds, not surprisingly, a good deal of beneficial nutrients too.  Potassium, magnesium., calcium and phosphorus along with a good amount of vitamin C, and because it is a member of the mustard family, antibacterial activity too.

Good to grow, good to eat and good for you too :-)

Have a great weekend!


-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

No comments: