Garden, Plant, Cook!

Saturday, September 10, 2011

There's Rosemary For Remembrance..Pray, Love, Remember --- 9/11

Dear Folks,

Most people are familiar with Ophelia's sad statement.  I have thought it was particularly appropriate following 9/11 and I still do.

I think if I had hoped for anything more 10 years later that there would a universally greater tolerance and understanding between cultures.  Is there?  To be sure there is so much kindness shown every day in many, many small ways, but if you listen to political and social commentary I wonder if the people we listen to, learned anything except 'lock the gates'.


Just my musings on a day of sad memorials honoring the fallen and the heroic along with the American spirit.

The link to my post from 2009 is still valid and still informational.


http://edibleherbsandflowers.blogspot.com/2009/09/911-8-years-later-remembering-what-hate.html

A few notes from that post:

FIRST RESPONDERS
I come from a family of many firefighters and Deane is a retired EMT, so they have always held a special place in my heart, even more so after 9/11 -- and what the rescue workers and police had to do.
Find the fire station and police station in your neighborhood and mail or drop off a thank you card. They put their boots on every morning never knowing what the day will bring, that is a hero in my book.

If you are in the area of the gas station owned by the family of Balbir Singh Sodhi, consider placing flowers on the memorial. That is part of my neighborhood.  Mr. Sodhi was known in the neighborhood for his kindness and generosity. A memorial page was dedicated to him on Sikh cultural site, click here to see the page - it has not been updated for a while but gives the story of the murder and the community support.


Plant rosemary for remembrance -- at the foot of your flagpole or anywhere it works for you.

And, finally, never forget our soldiers.  Send a card free through Xerox's special site http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1280.html

Be kind to yourselves by being kind to others,


-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

No comments: