Garden, Plant, Cook!

Thursday, August 09, 2018

Two fun Recipes

Dear Folks,

My vacation brought home to me that I need to take off some weight, ya think!  That is what vacations do, but I have to consider I am getting older. Sigh.

I have a ton of basil happily growing in the garden, so I've been on a Caprese Salad mind-bent and went looking for some variations - and I found a lot of ideas. See the link below.

Aside from the wonderful traditional version of sliced tomatoes, layers with mozerella cheese and sprinkled with basil or the leaves layered in, I wanted some other ways to incorporate them.  I've done the toothpick Caprese version, served on a large lemon leave.  Fun for quick snacks or a party.

I selected this great Orzo Caprese dish to make last night and it is a winner. Originally I was going to make it a cold salad, and I will probably do that in the future (also one of the Caprese variations shows a quinoa Caprese which I will have to try).  But in the end I decided to serve it hot.  I minced the mozerella.  I just kind of eye-balled the proportions to get a nice balance.  I tossed with a bit of fresh lime juice and olive oil.  It was delicious!

Next I am wanting to do more quick egg dishes.  Oh, we love egg salad sandwiches and just grabbing a hard cooked egg, cutting in half and sprinkling with a bit of s&p, and I make a great sunny side egg with fixings for our Sunday breakfasts.  I've also done egg drop soup, but I wanted something FAST!.

Checking the internet for scrambling eggs in the microwave I found a 45 second - yep 45 second, recipe.  This is for one egg, you approximately double it for 2 eggs.

You can do this in a microwave safe cup or a bowl.  The bowl allows the egg to spread out making it easier to do this Egg, cheese, herb burrito.  AND you do not have to grease the bowl.

Microwave Egg Burrito with Herbs and Cheese
1 Serving

1 egg
1 tablespoon of milk
Cracked black pepper
sprinkle of salt
about 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese
about 2 tablespoons of shredded I'itoli onion tops and basil
1 Whole Wheat Flour Tortilla.

Beat the eggs, milk and s&p in the container you will microwave in.  Microwave for 45 seconds.  Meanwhile lay the tortilla out, put the cheese and herbs down the center and when the egg is done flip on to the tortilla, fold and eat!  It turned out great.

I trailed the microwaving the other day first by cooking in a coffee mug and folding the egg into a slice of whole wheat bread and was hooked on this.  That literally took about a minute and a half to beat the egg, cook it and fold it into the bread.  Love It!

The cooking time creates a moist but cooked egg.  Perfect!

26 Caprese Variation Recipes.

Don't miss the pretty avocado caprese - oh so many good ideas, so few days! :-)

If you enjoy my recipes, consider buying one of my books - available in links on the side bar here.  Even my gardening book has recipes to get you started.

Have a best day,

-- Catherine, The Herb Lady

 If you enjoyed this post, please share and subscribe below by entering your email, to get all my posts!

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Disclaimer: Clicking on links on this blog may earn me a small commission if you purchase something. Your price does not change.

No comments: